An adverb ( which has –ly ending) is a word that describes verbs whereas an adjective is a word that describes nouns or pronouns. (Մակբայը լրացնում, նկարագրում է բային, իսկ ածականը՝գոյականին կամ դերանունին)
Eg. He drove off angrily / He is an angry boy.
But there are some words ending in –ly are adjectives. Common examples: deadly, friendly, likely, lovely, silly, ugly, unlikely.
- Two people were serious injured in the accident.
- The driver of the car had seriously injuries.
- I think you behaved very selfishly.
- Tanya is terribly upset about Losing her job.
- There was a sudden change in the weather.
- Everybody at the carnival was dressed colorfully.
- Linda usually wears colourful clothes.
- Liz fell and hurt herself really badly.
- Joe says he didn’t do well at school because he was badly taught.
- The children were playing in the garden happily.
Task 1. Read the text, translate the last passage into English:
Jack was a young sailor. He lived in England, but he was often away with his ship.
One summer he came back from a long voyage and found new neighbours near his mother’s house. They had a pretty daughter, and Jack soon loved her very much.
Մի ամառ նա վերադարձավ երկար նավարկությունից հետո և գտավ նոր հարևանների իր մայրիկի տան կողքին: Նրանք ունեին շատ գեղեցիկ աղջիկ և շուտով Ջեքը սիրեց նրան շատ:
He said to her, ‘My next voyage will begin in a few days’ time, Gloria. I love you, and I’ll marry you when I come back. I’ll think about you all the time, and I’ll write to you and send you a present from every port.’
Նա ասաց նրան.
— Իմ հաջորդ նավարկությունը սկսվելու է հինգ օրից, Գլորիա: Ես սիրում եմ քեզ և կամուսնանամ քեզ հետ, երբ վերադառնամ. Ես մտածելու եմ քո մասին ամբողջ ժամանակ և ես կգրեմ քեզ և կուղարկեմ քեզ նվեր ամեն նավահանգստից:
Առաջին նավահանգիստը, որտեղ Ջաքը կանգ առավ, Ֆրիթաունն էր: Նա այնտեղից Գլորիային թութակ ուղարկեց: Այդ թութակը խոսում էր հինգ լեզվով:
The first port, where Jack stopped, was the Freetown. He send Gloria a parrot from there. That parrot spoke five language.
Երբ Ջաքի նավը հասավ Ավստրալիա, նա նամակ ստացավ Գլորիայից: Նամակում գրված էր. «Շնորհակալություն թութակի համար, Ջա՛ք: Այն ավելի համեղ էր քան ճուտը»:When Jack’s ship arrived in Australia , he got a letter from Gloria. There was written. “ Thank you for the parrot, Jack. It was tastier than chicken.
Task 2. Use the verbs in the brackets in the correct tense form:
- I have never come across such a big snake in my life. What about you?
- We had been looking for her ring for two hours when we found it in the bathroom.
- Hi, I am Matt Rotell, a friend of Alice’s.
- While climbing onto the mountain top, I met a strange animal which I’d never seen before.
- If I find a good job, I’ll move to Madrid.
We normally make passive forms of a verb by using tenses of the auxiliary be followed by the past participle ( -pp) of the verb. Here is a list of all the passive forms of an ordinary English verb.
Simple future — will be + pp – eg. You will be told soon enough.
Simple present – am/is/are + pp – eg. English is spoken here.
Present progressive – am/is/are being +pp – eg. The house is being painted.
Present perfect – have/has been +pp – eg. Has Mary been told?
Simple past – was/were + pp – eg. I was invited, but I went.Seen ad many timesNot relevantOffensiveCovers contentBrokenREPORT THIS AD
Past progressive – was/were being +pp – eg. I felt as if I was being watched.
Past perfect – had been + pp – eg. I knew why I had been chosen.
Model verbs –can/must/may/have to.. +be + pp – eg . The work must be done.
Choose the correctly formulated Passive constructions.
- This easy work can be done without anybody‟s help.
- We found the room exactly as it had been left the night before.
- Tobacco introduced to France by Jean Nicot.
- This modular computer has used by our researchers.
- Gayane was first staged on December 3, 1942 in Perm during World War II.
- The first chewing-gum was made by Thomas Adams.
- Have these benches painted recently?
- The students being examined by the professor at that time.
- The vase made of crystal was broken to pieces.
- Lincoln was shot in the head by John Wilkes Booth, an actor.
- Marie Tussaud created her first wax figure (of Voltaire) in 1777.
- Before him lay a splendid garden, full of blossom and scent.
- I have been misunderstood – no intention to hurt you.
- Is that big hat made of straw?
- Many of Van Gogh‟s best works were created in 1889, in an asylum.
- He will have published several poems by the end of the year.
- What holidays are celebrated in your country in autumn and winter?
- G. Washington is known to all Americans as “The Father of the Nation”.
- The dynamite had invented by Alfred Nobel.
- Charlie Chaplin is considered one of the most famous stars of the early days of Hollywood.
- Will the scientific seminar be held in two days?
- The scientists have been making these experiments for the last few years.
- Nobel preferred that people didn’t remember him as the inventor of dynamite.
- The patent matter was still being discussed.
- The Smiths weren’t invited to that meeting.
- I love traveling. I would like travel.When you visit a country, buy a souvenir from there and when you see the souvenir,you will remember your journey.